Welcome.

Welcome to everyone reading through the New Testament in 2007. Each day, there will be a new post for the day's reading. You are invited to share your thoughts about what you've read, by adding comments to that post.

If you'd like a PDF version of the Introduction/Outline to Revelation, click here.


Thursday, June 07, 2007

A Meditation. Ephesians 2.

This letter of Paul's contains so many rich individual verses and paragraphs that in a read through like ours, there's a certain tension between focusing on the big picture, and sampling those individual verses. This morning I'm going to do the latter, and then I may have a second post later today that addresses the bigger picture.

This is the verse that really captured my attention this morning: "For we are his workmanship, having been created in Christ Jesus for good works that God prepared beforehand so we may do them." (Ephesians 2:10 NET).

First of all, I sense a verbal "riff" going on by Paul -- "not by works" (v.9), "we are his workmanship", "do good works". I love that, because my mind works that way too.

Mainly, though, this expression of purpose for us, God's purpose, hit me profoundly today. There are many ways we can describe our purpose in life, like we've been created to worship God, or we're to go and make disciples. This is one more way of God describes His purpose for us. God had an idea in mind for us, and Christ's saving act on the cross allows us to accomplish it.

I really don't want to carry that thought any further here. This is the verse out as one that I will meditate on today. Maybe it's one you can meditate on too. You can read more about how to meditate, here.

Did something else speak to you today?

No comments: