Welcome.

Welcome to everyone reading through the New Testament in 2007. Each day, there will be a new post for the day's reading. You are invited to share your thoughts about what you've read, by adding comments to that post.

If you'd like a PDF version of the Introduction/Outline to Revelation, click here.


Monday, March 26, 2007

Backtracking. Galatians 4.

In our reading through the New Testament so far, there have been a couple of days when reading a single chapter seems awkward. For me, today's chapter in Galatians is one of those. It's clearly a passage of transition that depends on both the chapter preceding it and the chapter following it. So what do we do in that case. Clearly, one thing we can do is to read the chapter, think about it a bit, and then wait until the next day to see where the argument leads. Perhaps in the reading, there will be smaller parts of the passage that speak to us in a special way. Maybe even something as simple as this phrase, "... God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, who calls 'Abba! Father!'," will affect you in a profound way.

Two other approaches we might take are: one, to continue reading into the next chapter until there's an appropriate breaking point; and two, backtrack and review the thoughts that led up to this chapter. In the latter case, you might decide to go far enough back to capture a second thought from previous reading. Or you might spend extra time on a particularly rich passage. Or you might concentrate on the thread of thought that's currently being developed, in anticipation of the next day's reading.

I decided that for this post, I would attempt to write down some of my thoughts that developed out of spending time thinking about what Paul wrote in chapter two -- that he was crucified with Christ. In part, those thoughts are connected to the idea of Abba, Father, so it turns out that technically this post is about something in Galatians 4. (Okay, that's a stretch.)

"Lots of noise. Just wait. Abba, Father, what do you want me to learn from these words of Paul's? How dead is my old self? How large is my passion to live for Christ, compared to those first moments my life was changed? Compared to the passion of Paul as expressed in his letter?"

Today I have to confess that our society is a tough one to live in, and follow Christ whole-heartedly. We're not under direct persecution where the choice is clear, but we face hundreds of decisions to make on a daily basis. I confess that there are too many moments where it's not God living in me, but me choosing what to do. Without the daily disciplines of prayer and Bible reading, the power of the Spirit within me would be quenched all too quickly. Without the joy of meeting with my brothers and sisters, I'd be just another lone sheep, ill-equipped to face the wolves and lions outside.

I'm thankful for each of you who meet on Sundays, to grow in your knowledge of God's word, and His nature, and how He wants you to live, through discussion and study. I'm thankful for all those who committed to read through the New Testament this year, and am hopeful that this online place will add to the richness of that experience. And I am thankful for the fundamental change Jesus has made in my relationship with the Father, even if there are too many moments when I don't live like that. Thankful for the Spirit that lives within me, and cries out on my behalf, "Papa, Father."

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's chapter, when Paul completes his thought about freedom in Christ, but will continue to meditate on what it means to be "crucified with Christ."

No comments: