Welcome.

Welcome to everyone reading through the New Testament in 2007. Each day, there will be a new post for the day's reading. You are invited to share your thoughts about what you've read, by adding comments to that post.

If you'd like a PDF version of the Introduction/Outline to Revelation, click here.


Monday, October 15, 2007

In the beginning ... John 1.

Beginnings are so important. John starts his gospel at the beginning of time. No, that's not quite right. Maybe at the creation of time. However exactly we might describe this moment, it's the parallel to the Genesis account. "In the beginning, God ..." "In the beginning was the Word ..."

Volumes have been written about the first fourteen verses of John's gospel. His beginning that tells of the beginning. John speaks of the other John, the baptizer.
John testified about him and shouted out, “This one was the one about whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is greater than I am, because he existed before me.’” ... John said, “I am the voice of one shouting in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord,’ as Isaiah the prophet said.” ... John answered them, “I baptize with water. Among you stands one whom you do not recognize, who is coming after me. I am not worthy to untie the strap of his sandal!” These things happened in Bethany across the Jordan River where John was baptizing. (John 1:15, 23, 26-28 NET)

More testimony from the baptizer:

On the next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is the one about whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who is greater than I am, because he existed before me.’ I did not recognize him, but I came baptizing with water so that he could be revealed to Israel.” (John 1:29-31 NET)

Parallels to the Old Testament are heaped onto the beginning.

  • The Word was life, which was light -- let there be light.
  • The law through Moses, grace and truth through Jesus Christ.
  • John fulfilling Isaiah's prophecy.
  • John working in Elijah's territory.
  • Jesus, the Lamb of God.

As you read through this gospel over the next several weeks, you may want to come back each day and read these first 39 verses, soaking up the richness of John's beginning.

Two thoughts resonated with me this morning. John the baptizer said that he wasn't even worthy enough to be Jesus' servant -- "to untie the strap of his sandal." Thinking ahead, there will be more imagery associated with Jesus' feet? More importantly, how is it I can be worthy enough to be His servant?

The other thought was about way in which John (the gospel writer) has tied to Jesus to great figures and events from the text -- the law and prophets. John (the baptizer) in the continuation of Elijah's work. John also as the way-maker spoken of by Isaiah, and Jesus as the one for Whom the way was prepared. Jesus as Moses' fulfillment. And the allusion to father Abraham contained in the phrase, the Lamb of God. From Genesis 22:6-8:

Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and put it on his son Isaac. Then he took the fire and the knife in his hand, and the two of them walked on together. Isaac said to his father Abraham, “My father?” “What is it, my son?” he replied. “Here is the fire and the wood,” Isaac said, “but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?” “God will provide for himself the lamb for the burnt offering, my son,” Abraham replied. The two of them continued on together.

Think of it. God will provide for Himself the lamb of sacrifice. And He did.

No comments: