Welcome.

Welcome to everyone reading through the New Testament in 2007. Each day, there will be a new post for the day's reading. You are invited to share your thoughts about what you've read, by adding comments to that post.

If you'd like a PDF version of the Introduction/Outline to Revelation, click here.


Friday, July 27, 2007

Make it right. Luke 23.

How much are we able to take in of the events of Luke 23?

I see, for example, the weak case of Jesus' accusers, even lying about what He taught about taxes. 'Father, step in and make this right.'

I see a corrupt ruler of the Jews meeting the true king, and treating Him like a cruel plaything -- do some tricks, Jesus. 'Father, step in and make this right.'

I see a cruel ruler of Rome trying to do the right thing, giving in and doing the easy thing. How often do the easy thing and the cruel thing coincide? 'Father, step in and make this right.'

I see the debased attitudes and actions, that we are all capable as sinful creatures, of the guards and soldiers. Petty, mean, and mocking that say more about the guards than the criminals. 'Father, step in and make this right.'

I see the mob, blind to what it does, easily manipulated by those with the agenda. 'Father, step in and make this right.'

I see gut-wrenching irony in the mocking, "He saved others, let Him save Himself." 'You fools, can't you see He's still saving others!? Father, please step in and make this right.'

I see the challenge of Jesus, even here,which separates those who believe, from those who don't. Criminal from criminal. Gambling soldiers from observant centurion. 'Father, step in and make this right.'

'Father, step in and make this right. I'm not worthy of this sacrifice. No one is. Only your Son is, and yet He's the one making the sacrifice. How is it that you can love so deeply? I am an unclean man with unclean lips of a people with unclean lips.'

Even in all this darkness, in all this horror, I see moments of light. Someone to ease the burden for a moment, carrying the cross. (As we are called to do.) The women. Witnesses to it all. Right there. Paradise for one of the criminals. Revelation to the centurion. The request for forgiveness for all from the One providing forgiveness for all who believe. Honor in the manner of burial.

I can't take it all in. But in the evening, I will try, as they must have done. "On the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment."

'Father, step in and make me right.'

No comments: